Re: F2F session on IRI and RFC 3023bis

Noah Mendelsohn writes:

> Henry: on the telcon last week you asked for "1/2 slot" on RFC 3023bis
> and IRI. Time is very tight on the agenda, but I've tentatively put in
> 30 mins as you requested. It's probably my shortsightedness, but your
> brief description wasn't sufficiently evocative to prepare a detailed
> agenda, require reading, action list, etc.

These two long-delayed RFCs interact with each other and with a number
of our concerns.

Things to talk about:

 1) 3023bis [1] and fragment identifiers -- We discussed this a year
    ago [2] and came to a conclusion, which Noah took an action [3] to
    convey to the 3023 editors.  There was substantial pushback [4].
    Jonathan reported on our further discussion to the 3023 editors
    [5], setting out a number of alternative ways forward.  Chris
    Lilley replied [6] stating a preference for option 2.

    But nothing has happened. . .  Time to put a TAG push behind a new
    draft of 3023bis?

 2) 3023bis and Processor Profiles -- The XML Core WG has produced a
    Last Call WD for XML Processing Profiles [7].  Would 3023bis be
    the _architecturally_ correct place to connect this to XML itself?

 3) IRIbis and HTML5 'URIs' -- The HTML WG has removed all reference
    to 3987bis, but the IRI WG is exploring ways to get back in:

      "In March 2011, the W3C's HTML WG made a decision to close
       ISSUE-56 when the parties involved could not come to agreement
       on aligning HTML5 with the IRI WG's revisions to RFC 3987:

      "http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2011Mar/0404.html

      "That decision effectively removed the HTML5 specification's
       dependency on rfc3987bis.  It appears that this was done so
       that the HTML5 specification could define how to translate
       input strings contained in text/html documents into URIs.

       . . .

      "However, our understanding is that ISSUE-56 can be reopened if
       new information emerges, such as "IETF completing production of
       a document suitable as a formal reference".  And of course as
       chairs of the IRI WG we would like to deliver such a document." [8]

    Can we help?  Should we try?

ht

[1] http://www.w3.org/2006/02/son-of-3023/latest.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2010/06/9-minutes.html#item03