(unknown charset) Re: Generic processing of Fragment IDs in RFC 3023bis

From: (unknown charset) Henry S. Thompson <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:10:25 +0100
To: (unknown charset) Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Cc: (unknown charset) Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>, (unknown charset) Martin J. Dürst <duerst@it.aoyama.ac.jp>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>, www-tag@w3.org, MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt@asahi-net.or.jp>, Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>

Noah Mendelsohn writes:

> So, if all that's true, we have a situation where:
>
> * Code written to normative specification 3023bis would conclude that
> the above URI reference resolved to an element (I.e. because the DTD
> says that rdf:id is of type ID, which implies that it identifies an
> element).
>
> * Code written to normative reference [media type registration for
> application/rdf+xml would conclude that the same URI reference,
> applied to the same retrieved representation, resolved to a node in an
> RDF graph.
>
> That seems broken, hence the concern.  What am I misundertanding?

Why is it broken?  We have lots of XML languages which use XML to
represent more-or-less abstract data models (W3C XML Schema, for
example), in which there is in many cases a one-to-one correspondence
between an element in a document instance and an entity in a data
model.  Given that correspondence, the use of a fragment identifier to
pick out the element or the entity in different usage contexts seems
perfectly reasonable.

(BTW, I think the original sticking point was at a deeper level, based
on the understanding that per application/rdf+xml,
http://example.org/myrdf.xml#somename identified neither an element,
nor a node in an RDF graph, but some resource in the real world.)

ht
- --
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk