Re: 3023bis and XPointer

Grosso, Paul writes:

> [Henry] said to the TAG on 2010-09-02:
>>     <noah> I'd like to scribe that more carefully: I (Henry) >think<
>>     (but need to check) that the minimum conformance requirement for
>>     the XPointer framework is barenames
>
> Minimum conformance with what?  XPointer Framework or 3023bis?

XPointer Framework, as it says.  3023bis requires support for the
element() scheme as well, as you point out.

>>     ht: as long as you have a xpointer implementation implementing
>>     barenames you are safe

> It sounds to me like 3023bis is saying the element() scheme must
> also be supported, so I don't understand the previous statement.

I don't think I was scribed particularly accurately, in the second
quote above.  What I was trying to get at was that if your
spec. defines a semantics for barename fragids, that's sufficient wrt
3023bis, because the only things you can point at with the element()
scheme XPointers are element infoitems, which are the same things you
can point at with barenames, so the same semantics will of necessity
work for either.

That is, imagine the following scenario:

 1) I pass a URI of the form
    http://example.com/foo/baz/mumble.xyz#element(/1/2)
    to an application;
 2) The application GETs /foo/baz/mumble.xyz from example.com;
 3) The Content-type of the response is application/zany+xml;
 4) My application conforms to all the necessary specs, as follows:
     a) 3023bis and the XPointer element() scheme;
        So it can extract the 2nd daugher element of the document
        element of the XML document corresponding to the response
        body;
     b) The semantics mandated by the specification governing the zany
        language for individual XML elements, because the zany spec
        described the semantics of barename frag-ids, which identify
        elements;
 5) I win -- my app has everything it needs to proceed.

ht
- --
                Fax: (44) 131 651-1426, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk