Re: Copy to Clipboard - ambush and abuse by javascript

On 2010/06/06 11:40, Larry Masinter wrote:
> Are there general WYSIWYG principles for copy-to-clipboard?
>
> In IRI, to satisfy some of the requirements for BIDI IRIs it would
> seem like some amount of changes when copy/paste are required.
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-iri/2010Jun/0000.html
>
> Are there other examples of "smart copy"?

The most basic aspect of 'smart copy' is that clipboards usually contain
the same stuff in different formats. It's a bit like different mime
types, only on a fragment level. I.e. assume you copy something from a
Web page. The clipboard may have it in various versions: The text only,
the text with markup, the text and the images. Also, all of these
potentially both in the main legacy character encoding of the system
you're working on and in some Unicode encoding. The receiving
application then indicates which version(s) it is interested in (i.e. it
is capable of handling). A plain text editor may just get the text, a
Web page editor may also get the markup,...

But that's all for the purpose of conserving as much of the content
across widely differing applications, rather than for confusing or
annoying the user.

Regards,   Martin.