RE: Agenda for TAG teleconference of 21 January 2010

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 13:23:16 -0800
To: "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
CC: Lisa Dusseault <lisa.dusseault@gmail.com>
Agenda item 8, ISSUE-51 & ACTION-308:

I think before we cite [barthsniff] we actually
review it more carefully.

Reading it over I still have a lot of questions
about it.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abarth-mime-sniff-03

For example, it has the "resource vs. representation"
bug that HTML has; I think the normative advice
in the  case of malformed content-type may not
be the same as "no content-type", it's ambiguous
as to whether it applies to "file:" or "ftp:"
or "imap:" or for that matter email content or
"data:".

I think several W3C specs are advancing using
mimesniff as a normative reference (including
HTML), so getting this reviewed should be timely.

I wasn't sure about the venue for discussing this,
but after a brief discussion, I'll post my comments
to the authors and the IETF apps-discuss mailing
list (for general 'application area' protocol
discussions) and will send a pointer to the
apps-discuss mailing list archive to www-tag,
http-wg and public-html.

Larry
--
http://larry.masinter.net