Re: HTML media type vs. # URIs that do not identify document elements

Dan Connolly writes:

> [Noah Mendelsohn writes:]
> > As to amending the media type specification: in principle I might be
> > concerned, precisely because people could have invested in code that
> > interpreted the failure to resolve as an error (at least in the same
> > spirit that 404 is an error).
>
> What failure to resolve? Could you elaborate the case you have
> in mind?

I'll be glad to try.  I can at least propose something hypothetical that
might be suggestive of the concern.  Imagine that someone had built an
agent that helps debug broken links, perhaps for use in conjunction with a
content management system.  Per the applicable specs,  if
http://example.com/xyz.html#frag returns text/html, then the URI is a
reference (or attempted reference) to an element in the file, and the tool
should include it in a list of broken links if it doesn't resolve.  If
instead the resource owner uses this as a reference to some other
secondary resource [2], it will get incorrectly counted as a broken link.

I think this is also in the spirit of the concerns that Eric Bowman
raised.   I don't know if you'll find this particular example convincing,
but it's the sort of thing I have in mind.

Noah

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2010Feb/0058.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#def-secondary-resource
[3]