Re ISSUE-58: Dublin Core server load

Please attach to ISSUE-58 (scalabilityOfURIAccess-58)
-Jonathan

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Baker <tbaker@tbaker.de>
Date: Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: [pedantic-web] Missing DC property definitions?
To: pedantic-web@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 05:23:49PM +0100, Antoine Zimmermann wrote:
> Actually, the problems comes from purl.org, which is not accessible at
> the moment. [UPDATE: it was not accessible a few minutes ago]
> This is not the first time it happens.
> Now it works again, and your file validates without any warning.

See an interesting thread starting at [1], where Dave Wood says:

   On Friday, 26 March, Ian Davis (CTO of Talis) reported that
   purl.org was rejecting some requests to Dublin Core PURLs
   [1].  I asked OCLC to increase the number of threads used
   by their PURL server and the maximum number of concurrent
   connections.  They complied this afternoon.

   At the time of the failures, OCLC reported that purl.org
   was rejecting between 20 and 60 requests per second for
   DC terms [2].

   It would seem that Linked Data clients are becoming more
   prevalent and that some of them are not particularly
   well behaved.  Perhaps we need to raise awareness of the
   importance of caching.

Tom

[1] https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?A2=ind1003&L=DC-ARCHITECTURE&P=29894

--