Re: Media Type Sub-Sub-types?

From: Erik Hetzner <erik.hetzner@ucop.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 11:09:56 -0700
To: www-tag@w3.org
At Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:27:36 +0200,
Jan Algermissen wrote:
> I usually address the subclassing issue (which is primarily an issue
> of expressing a client side capability of expectation, IMHO) with
> a profile parameter on the media type(s) in the Accept header:
>
> Accept: application/rdf+xml;profile=http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/
>
> The server can respond with just Content-Type: application/rdf+xml or,
> if desired, with a 406 Not Acceptable if the profile 'request' cannot
> be satisfied.

I want this solution to work, but I have some concerns.

Is there a profile parameter defined for the application/rdf+xml media
type? (I don’t believe there is.) Or is profile considered an HTTP
accept-param? If the latter, shouldn’t it follow a q param? Futher, if
it is an accept-param, am I right in thinking that the Content-Type
response will not return the profile value?

best,
Erik Hetzner

;; Erik Hetzner, California Digital Library
;; gnupg key id: 1024D/01DB07E3