Re: Last minute input to discussion re 'on the boundaries of content negotiation in the context of the Web of Data'

On 20/2/09 16:02, Xiaoshu Wang wrote:
> Michael Hausenblas wrote:
>> Dear TAG members, Tim, Richard,
>>
>> Short version: an attempt to defined non-information resources without
>> using
>> non-information resource ;)
> I am not sure your proposal will work (see below). But here is the
> fundamental question: what is the purpose?
> Unlike if we know "x is a Human", we can infer that "x has (at least)
> one head", I wonder what more "x is an IR" tells me except "x is an IR".

I'm not a fan of the notion of IR. But here is a possible use case:
digital preservation.

"A thing that is an IR, is a thing whose entire state can be serialized
as a bytestream. Coupled with the use of standard names for agreed media
formats, this gives us a solid foundation for digital preservation
strategies. If it is an IR, we know we can preserve it by preserving the
0s and 1s, alongside information aiding their interpretation. If is not
an IR, we know that archiving 0s and 1s are insufficient to preserve it."
(OAIS is one rich methodology for maintaining such an archive).

This "IRs as bytestream-serializable things" reading is agnostic about
whether non (web/http) IRs can be considered informational in some
broader sense (eg. books, abstract intellectual works, and other FRBRish
puzzles).

My story here ignores dependencies across resources, composite resources
etc., but I expect that part of the story could be repaired. The main
suggestion is that IRs are just digitally serializable things.

cheers,

Dan

--
http://danbri.org/