Re: Uniform access

On Jun 13, 2008, at 10:02 AM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> On Jun 13, 2008, at 8:47 AM, Jonathan Rees wrote:
>
>> At the TAG face-to-face meeting in Bristol on 20 May 2008, the TAG
>> took up the issue of the appropriate use (if any) of the HTTP
>> Link: response header, with consideration of design alternatives
>> and issues as summarized in [2]. After a lively discussion, we
>> agreed as follows:
>>
>> "The TAG endorses http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-nottingham-http-
>> link-header-01.txt and standardization of the HTTP Link: header
>> for use cases such as POWDER and metadata about fixed resources,
>> and GRDDL transformation links"
>
> Why mention of "fixed resources" specifically? Is this meant to
> supply that responses to requests about "generic resources" should
> not use link headers?
>
> -Alan

Dan C gave the advice not to endorse technology for technology's
sake, and suggested a few specific applications as for-instances.
This idea met with general approval. Although I can't speak for
others, I did not take the statement as particularly restrictive -
thus the "such as". The mention of "fixed resources" (perhaps from
Tim?) I think was designed to indicate a relatively uncontroversial
case and did not mean to say other kinds of things couldn't have
Link:s. Perhaps it was simply meant to bypass any discussion of the
resource/representation distinction or instability through time,
things no one wanted to talk about as we had handled the request from
the POWDER WG and had other matters to get to.

I imagine there will be further discussions here about what kinds of
discipline on Link: will be helpful, especially around resource
descriptions (metadata) for consumption by semantic web applications.

Jonathan