Re: [httpRange-14] What is an Information Resource?

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:54:37 +0000
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
CC: John Black <JohnBlack@kashori.com>, Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, www-tag@w3.org

John Cowan wrote:
> John Black scripsit:
>

>> Isn't this assumption false with respect to the web? In general, I have no
>> idea what states the resources I visit may be in. Any given resource may be
>> a novel, a song, a picture, an email message, a movie,  a blog post, etc.,
>> etc. How could I possibly know the N possible states that 8 billion
>> resources can be in?
>>

> We can if we set some reasonable upper limit to the size of a
> representation.  For example, if we say that 1 TB is such an upper limit,
> then the resource is in one of about 2^(10^15) states, given that there
> are about 10^2 media types and there are ~ 10 bits/byte.

Still, this is the wrong assumption.  JB is right that Shannon's theory
is only meaningful when there is a context.
The same bit can mean different things in different context.  The
implication of your suggestion is that we can assign every possible
states a bit pattern. But if cap the size, the implication is that web
is closed.  If you don't, then the problem comes back to you.

Xiaoshu