Re: [httpRange-14] What is an Information Resource?

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 21:13:46 -0500
To: John Black <JohnBlack@kashori.com>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, Mikael Nilsson <mikael@nilsson.name>, "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, www-tag@w3.org

John Black scripsit:

> Isn't this assumption false with respect to the web? In general, I have no
> idea what states the resources I visit may be in. Any given resource may be
> a novel, a song, a picture, an email message, a movie,  a blog post, etc.,
> etc. How could I possibly know the N possible states that 8 billion
> resources can be in?

We can if we set some reasonable upper limit to the size of a
representation.  For example, if we say that 1 TB is such an upper limit,
then the resource is in one of about 2^(10^15) states, given that there
are about 10^2 media types and there are ~ 10 bits/byte.

--
The Unicode Standard does not encode            John Cowan
idiosyncratic, personal, novel, or private      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan