From: Alan Ruttenberg [mailto:alanruttenberg@gmail.com]
Sent: 27 September 2007 14:43
To: Dan Connolly
Cc: Misha Wolf; W3C-TAG; semantic-web-ig list
Subject: Re: Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?

There's a potential Semantic Web issue here. It's obvious that the
permanent URI would be a reasonable subject of statement, and it the
temporary one not, unless the RDF is meant for ephemeral use. If both
URIs are permanent, and their meaning isn't distinguished, then both
will be used interchangeably and we have a URI alias problem.
-Alan

On Sep 27, 2007, at 9:36 AM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 14:00 +0100, Misha Wolf wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Which URI should be persistent when redirects are used?  The one
>> submitted in the initial HTTP request (having been derived, eg,
>> from an XML instance document), the one obtained through the
>> redirect, or both?
>
> Well, the more persistent URIs the better, so both.
>
> The question isn't very clear.
>
> There are distinct HTTP redirection codes for "don't use
> this URI any more; use that other one from now on" (301)
> and "keep using this URI, but for now, look over there
> for what you're after" (302).
>
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.3
>
> So if you're trying to be good about persistent URIs,
> but the world changes and you have to react, putting
> up a 301 for 18 months or so seems like a reasonable
> strategy.
>
> Mark Baker and I proposed 3 years, actually, when
> we wrote up something related...
> http://www.markbaker.ca/2002/09/draft-connolly-w3c-accessible-
> registries-00.txt
>
> --

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company.
Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
Registered No: 3296375
Registered in England and Wales