RE: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14]

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:15:55 -0400
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: "www-tag" <www-tag@w3.org>

> From: Henry S. Thompson
>
> Dan Connolly writes:
>
> > In looking around Henry's work on the XML Schema namespace,
> > I discovered...
> >
> > [[
> > http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema
> >   Identifies the XML Schema Definition Language in general, without
> > referring to a specific version of it.
> > ]]
> >  -- http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-1/#langids
> >
> > It seems a little odd to use a hashless HTTP URI for a language.
> > I checked for a redirect... nope...

Perhaps the colloquial interpretation should be that the URI
*indirectly* identifies a language, as in
http://www.w3.org/TR/webarch/#indirect-identification

> > $ HEAD http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema
> > 200 OK
> >
> > So the draft proposes that http://www.w3.org/XML/XMLSchema
> > identifies both an information resource and a language.
>
> Well, the draft only proposes that it identify the language.  Putting
> a page there so the server returns 200 was a step I'm pretty sure the
> editor made independently, w/o considering the ontological
> implications of doing so or what our httpRange-14 finding has to say
> about them.

This seems to argue for a good practice of putting 303 URIs in a totally
different, recognizable space, as using a 303-redirect service like
http://thing-described-by.org does, so that 303 URIs aren't so easily
confused with regular URIs of information resources.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.