RE: HTTP URIs and authority

From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 18:41:53 +0100
To: <wangxiao@musc.edu>, <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Alan Ruttenberg" <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, "Mikael Nilsson" <mikael@nilsson.name>, "Richard Cyganiak" <richard@cyganiak.de>, "W3C-TAG Group WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, <www-tag-request@w3.org>

Hello Xiaoshou,

My hope is that Noah being a TAG member in good standing has followed
the TAG's advice and arranged either to use a #'d URI or to deploy a 303
redirect. In this way Noah's description of Paris (what you speak of as
his impression) will never be confused with Paris.

In the # case the URI used in the HTTP protocol request line is *not*
the same as the one that refers to Paris.

In the 303 case you don't get a representation at all when you retrieve
using Noah's URI for Paris - you only get something, may be a
representation, if you choose to try to follow the redirect.

> Regards,
>
> Xiaoshu

Stuart
--
Hewlett-Packard Limited registered Office: Cain Road, Bracknell, Berks
RG12 1HN