Re: HTTP URIs and authority

tis 2007-10-23 klockan 12:11 +0100 skrev Xiaoshu Wang:
> Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> > It is apparent that you do not agree with this.Personally, I think this
> > is maybe one of the most central parts of AWWW, and could not be
> > emphasized enough. In any case, I don't see that the TAG has stepped
> > away from this position just by deemphasizing URLs. URI allocation is
> > still done by the owner.
> >
> I do agree this to certain extent. I do believe the URI owner's opinion
> should carry more weight on what the URI is.  It would make a better
> society we use a URI in a way that is compatible with the owner of
> resource URI.
>
> But the issue at hand is if the URI owner (but not the resource owner)
> has *all* the information about the resource that the URI denotes.  I
> think not.  AWWW's definition for information resource and then
> httpRange-14 imply this.

That's not the issue. The issue is who decides *which resource* the URI
identifies.

I can coin a URI within my domain (mikaeldomain.example.org)

http://mikaelsdomain.example.org/Paris

to identify the city of Paris, but I'm pretty sure I don't know all or
even most about Paris.

Still, the important thing is that I, the domain owner, gets to decide
that the URI identifies Paris. If someone decides to use the same URI to
identify their dog named Paris, AWWW says I have authority to say they
are wrong.

However, if I say that Paris has 2 million inhabitants, and someone else
says 3 million, I don't have authority just because I coined the URI.

There's an important difference between these two cases that I think is
being overlooked.

/Mikael

--
<mikael@nilsson.name>

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose