Re: Triggering 303's (was: XML Schema draft populates the intersection ...)

------- Original message -------
From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: richard@cyganiak.de, ht@inf.ed.ac.uk, www-tag@w3.org
Sent: 1/10,  15:31

> On Sun, 2007-09-30 at 20:09 +0200, Mikael Nilsson wrote:
> > <doc#term> - non-info resource
> >
> > <doc> -> 200 OK, RDF/XML
> > <doc> -> 303 See Other, <doc.html>, HTML
> >
> > and
> >
> > <doc/term> - non-info resource
> >
> > <doc/term> -> 303 See Other, <doc/term.html>, HTML
> > <doc/term> -> 303 See Other, <doc/term.rdf>, RDF/XML
> >
> > It worries me slightly that we now have a mechanism for getting RDF
> > information about non-info resources, but we have no way of getting
> > similar information about information resources, such as
> >
> > <doc> - information resource
> >
> > <doc> -> 200 OK, HTML
> > <doc> -> 303 See Other, RDF/XML  <<==== How to trigger this?
> >
> > For symmetry, WebArch would be well served if there would be a
> > well-defined way to trigger such "See Other" responses.
>
> But the situation is not symmetric. The HTML spec
> for fragment identifiers can (currently) only express things
> about elements/anchors, while the RDF spec for
> fragments is unconstrained.

The asymmetry is between IR and non-IR - in the non-IR case, getting metadata from the URI of the thing is straightforward, just look at the 303 returned. In
the IR case, that 303 shadowed by a 200 response, meaning I only get the resource but no metadata.

It seems strange to me that we end up with more functionality (metadata retrieval) in the non-IR case. Getting the 'see other' response is interesting for IRs
too...

In an ideal world, I would like too be able to do:

HEAD [URI]

-> 200 OK
-> See Other: <metadata URI>

Where the metadata URI would be open to content neg.

/Mikael