RE: HTTP Endpoints and Resources

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2007 02:17:54 -0400
To: "Rhys Lewis" <rhys@volantis.com>
Cc: "Technical Architecture Group WG" <www-tag@w3.org>, "Pat Hayes" <phayes@ihmc.us>

> From: Rhys Lewis
>
> > From: David Booth
> > I agree entirely with your analysis about 303 responses and
> > HTTP endpoints.  I am only concerned that the terminology
> > that you are using is likely to be confusing if you posit a
> > thingie that responds with a
> > 303 code for a URI.
>
> Actually, though I'd love to take any credit, I didn't actually posit
> this. It's in the HTTP spec. The thing that responds with a 303 is a
> resource, in the sense in which that term is defined in
> RFC2616[1] (and
> which I've labelled http:resources for the purposes of this thread).

Where?  Section 1.4 says the *server* responds with the 303, not the
resource identified by the URI:

"The server responds with a status line, including the message's
protocol version and a success or error code . . . . "[2]

> [1] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616.html
> [2] http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec1.html#sec1.4

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.