RE: Finding News Taxonomies [was: RE: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs]

Shane P. McCarron wrote:

> John Cowan wrote:
> > 3) "123456" can't be the value of an attribute of type ID in a
> > *valid* XML document: true.  However, plenty of documents are not
> > valid: in particular, any document without a DTD is not valid,
> > and there is nothing wrong with having a DTD without expecting or
> > requiring validity.
> >
> I guess...  however, note that XHTML family documents are REQUIRED
> to be valid.  That was the IPTC's goal when they started this
> thing.   Not sure if it is still their goal...  defining a syntax
> that breaks the rules would seem misguided to me.

Which end of the hyperlink are we discussing?  The use, within a News
story, of a specified concept from a specified taxonomy, or the
description of this concept on some Web page?

The IPTC Standards (NewsML-G2, SportsML-G2, EventsML-G2, etc) are not
(X)HTML-based.  The Web page is, of course, (X)HTML.

The issue, as I understand it, is not what is legal within the News
story, but rather what is legal within the Web page.

Misha Wolf
News Standards Manager, Reuters, http://www.reuters.com/
Vice Chair, News Architecture WP, IPTC, http://www.iptc.org/

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters Limited.

Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters Group PLC is the ultimate parent company.
Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
Registered No: 3296375
Registered in England and Wales