RE: should CSS, HTML, etc. documents bear version information? (XMLVersioning-41?)

Again, we are in complete agreement.  Perhaps one of the biggest
problems that we have had with enhancing the self-describing web is the
use of XML as a container language and identifying ONLY the container in
the mime type, particularly application/soap+xml.  The same problems we
have with identifying the mime type of a document are the same problems
with have with identifying the xml language(s) and version(s) in a
document.  There doesn't seem to be a lot of consensus on how to deal
with container languages and versioning practices thereof, AFAICT.  It
seems that HTML and XML have mostly copied the MIME practice of just
identifying the outermost language and not having a "manifest" of the
versions embedded within.

Cheers,
Dave