Re: should CSS, HTML, etc. documents bear version information? (XMLVersioning-41?)

David Orchard wrote:
> I completely agree that a really big problem with version #s is what is
> the # identifying in compound documents.  However, I don't know if the
> usage of HTML with a bunch of stuff is really a compromise, so much as
> just a limited scope of identification.  There are still things that
> could be usefully done with identifying the version of HTML regardless
> of the distributed extensions.

Certainly in the context of XHTML Modularization and XHTML Family Markup
Languages, the concept is that compound documents are created by
defining a compound schema.  Such a schema has a name, and a version.
If you are authoring content in such a markup language, you reference
that name and that version.  As an author, I know what I am developing
my content against (content model, semantics).  As a consumer I can see
that name and say "oh!  I know that one" or "what is that about?"  As a
user agent, either 1) know what it means 'cause it is well known, or 2)
can discover the content model via dereferencing the pointer to a schema
it understands.  If there are bits a user agent does not understand,
XHTML M12N has rules for how the user agent should behave.