Re: Comments on Raman's "On Linking Alternative Representations To Enable Discovery And Publishing"

T.V. Raman writes:

> I've addressed all of them

Much appreciated!

> except for the one about facets.
>
> Reasoning:
>
> I think rather than implying that the Web breaks up into
> multiple pieces, the term "facets" here conveys the acceptance
> that there is in fact a threat of the Web splintering, and that
> viewing the various "Webs" as facets of a larger whole is in
> fact a means to avoid such a split. This is why I believe it is
> really important to capture the  --- via the hyperlink
> structure of the Web -- the relationship amongst various
> alternative representations of the same content.

I can certainly live with that.  Some of my concern is that "facet" is not
a well known term, and seeing it in a TAG finding readers may be confused
about that.  As I say, unless you are moved to reconsider for your own
reasons, I'm OK with this resolution.  Thanks.

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142