Re: Re-expressing our formalisation of Language

Dan Connolly writes:

> I'd be happy to go with the conventions. I find the wikipedia
> article pretty nice to start from http://en.wikipedia.
> org/wiki/Mathematical_logic

Gee, I'm really torn about that.  On the one hand, as one who's not expert
in those areas, I'm very excited to discover that these formalisms have
been so carefully developed.  Not reinventing the wheel seems like the
right approach.

Having said that, David Orchard was on the call making the case that even
my relatively simple efforts to present set theoretic approaches
separately from programmatic descriptions like XML Schema were a step away
from the sort of approachable commonsense explanations that our readers
will be looking for.  Honestly, I find that wikipedia article tough going,
and I have to believe that many readers of a TAG finding on versioning
will seek something much easier to understand.  Trying to head in the
direction you're signaling while writing something that typical finding
readers will grok looks like a bit of a challenge.  If we can do it, cool!

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street
Cambridge, MA 02142