Re: Re-expressing our formalisation of Language

On Wed, 2006-09-06 at 01:06 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
[...]
> >  Interpret, a functional mapping from TextSet to InformationSet,
> >    i.e. a subset of TextSet X InformationSet such that if a,b and c,d
> >    are in Interpret, then a==c implies b==d
>
> Why do you call this 'interpret'? Is this supposed to imply something
> to the effect that 'infons' are interpretations?
>
> Main question: Why is this *functional* ??

Hmm... yes, that is arbitrarily different from conventional
mathematcial logical terminology. I'd be happy to go with
the conventions. I find the wikipedia article pretty
nice to start from
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_logic

I _think_ that what Henry is proposing is consistent with
(i.e. analagous to) the conventional terminology. I was
going to spell out the details of the analogy, but that's sorta
beside the point. We might as well use the conventional terminology...

> This general style of associating meanings to
> texts by defining semantic *constraints* on *denotation mappings*
> from expressions to *interpretation structures*, with its concomitant
> notions of satisfaction, entailment and so on, is extremely
> general-purpose, established, successful and supported by a huge
> amount of precise and well-understood mathematical development.

Meanwhile, I really like the UML diagram. I think maybe I
could present the terms Pat is talking about in a UML
diagram and the differences might be manageable. I hope
to give it some thought...

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E