Re: Significant W3C Confusion over Namespace Meaning and Policy

Robin Berjon <robin.berjon@expway.fr> writes:

> Dare Obasanjo wrote:
>> [Dare Obasanjo] Yes. Schema locations are hints not directives. A XML
>> Schema validator can ignore locations and use schemas it already knows
>> about.
>
> Oh right sorry, I'd forgotten that XML Schema was thoroughly broken in
> its specifying of xs:import. Still, it seems like a strange reason to
> expect the xml:* namespace to be fixed. The whole point of reserving
> names in the spec is so that future specs can add new ones!

Um, I have to acknowledge what Dare said earlier in defense of
xs:import -- applications _must_ be allowed to protect themselves
against bogus or simply inappropriate/stale/premature schemas.

The fundamental principle behind the approach taken in W3C XML Schema
to schema location strategies is that you cannot provide for all
legitimate needs by giving _either_ users _or_ applications absolute
control.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk