endPointRefs-47 and identification (was Re: draft minutes TAG telecon 31 Jan 2005

Greetings!

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 12:10:58AM -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Hello www-tag,
>
> Draft minutes from the TAG's 31 Jan 2005 teleconference are
> now available from
>
>    http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2005/01/31-tag-summary

>From the draft minutes;

] DanC: does anyone have the ball to input info on most recent issue?
]
] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#endPointRefs-47

which is followed up by a brief discussion on some of the points relating
to the issue of identifying things with URIs.

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes by pointing this out (my apologies
if I am!), but while I agree that the URI/identification issue is very
important(*), it's not what endPointsRefs-47 is about.  endPointRefs-47
is, from my POV, solely about the Web service concept of "protocol
independence", whereby a SOAP message is given semantics which are
independent of the "underlying protocol" (which includes application
protocols like HTTP).

Aside; would a change to the TAG's issue name help emphasize this
difference?  The current name does seem to suggest the identification
issue.

Cheers,

 (*) though I'm personally happy with WG's resolution of it;
     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2005Jan/0017.html

Mark.