Re: Initial Draft Finding on Principle of Least Power

Mark Baker wrote:
> On 12/22/05, Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:
>
>>I've been following this thread, and believing myself to be in target
>>audience for such principles. I guess my question is this: why would I
>>follow this principle?
>

> I was thinking the same thing too, and noticed that - just to pick one
> important consideration - there's no discussion of the security
> implications of Turing-complete or near-Turing-complete languages.
>
>  [...]
>  [2] http://www.crockford.com/JSON/js.html
>  [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON

Jon, Gavin, Mark, thanks guys.

These are good links Mark (I mentioned security in passing and in
fairness, I've seen Dan C noodle on the security aspects of ajax on #swig).

Going back to what Gavin said, it seems there may be a useful principle
here, and it could be set in the context of web publishers and consumers
- that data formats ranging from brain-dead to less than ec-logic* are
easier to re-use and build momentum over seems credible and more useful
than saying "worse is better". It might be that this is a principle
which is important, but subtle (won't be the first).

cheers
Bill

* languages which logicians might describe as 'weak'. I think the
current RDF semantics are in the ec class.