Re: Initial Draft Finding on Principle of Least Power

On 12/22/05, Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:
> I've been following this thread, and believing myself to be in target
> audience for such principles. I guess my question is this: why would I
> follow this principle?

I was thinking the same thing too, and noticed that - just to pick one
important consideration - there's no discussion of the security
implications of Turing-complete or near-Turing-complete languages.

As a topical example, JSON[1] - a subset of Javascript used as a data
exchange format for many "AJAX" apps - is generating a lot of buzz,
and there's been some issue with some consumers simply eval()-ing JSON
data[2][3], despite the fact that what's exchanged could be arbitrary
Javascript, with all the security implications that entails.

Some food for thought...

 [1] http://www.crockford.com/JSON/
 [2] http://www.crockford.com/JSON/js.html
 [3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON