  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 21:36:22 +0100
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] RDDL(2): new version up
  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 20:46, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> I've posted a new version of RDDL (2.0) at http://www.rddl.org/
>
> Changes:
>
> -This version uses Tim Bray's non-XLink syntax which the TAG seems to
> be solidifying on, and for which I haven't heard any opposition to for
> at least 6 months. i.e..

Sorry, I am not following the TAG any longer and had totally missed this
proposal.

> 	<a rddl:nature="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> 		rddl:purpose="..."
> 		href="foo.html">Example</a>

I feel uneasy with this syntax that seems broken to me.

When I write:

<rddl:resource id="xsd-schema"
xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#schema-validation"
xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xlink:title="W3C XML
Schema for examplotron" xlink:href="examplotron.xsd" xlink:type="simple"
xlink:show="none" xlink:embed="none">
  <h4>W3C XML Schema for examplotron</h4>
</rddl:resource>

I define a link between the rddl:resource fragment (ie the full
description of the schema) and the schema.

With the new syntax, if I write:

  <h4>W3C XML Schema for examplotron</h4>

I get a link between the <a/> element and the schema which is
significantly poorer than the previous one (in this example, the content
of the <a/> element is almost useless). And I can't embed the whole
definition in my link because 1) the content model of the <a/> element
doesn't allow it, b) it would be displayed as a ugly long link.

> - The syntax *is* simpler which is a Very Good Thing
> - XLink does not appear to have achieved traction
> - Because the syntax is substantially changed I've bumped the Version
> number up to 2.0 --- perhaps we ought use a different *namespace name*
> e.g. http://www.rddl.org/rddl2# -- let's hear discussion on this.

Hmmm... that means that right now, all the existing RDDL documents have
a URI which describes a totally different vocabulary! That doesn't seem
right either.

Eric

> - A new DTD,  RELAXNG schema and RDDL->RDF XSLT are referenced in the
> http://www.rddl.org/ document (which serves as its own "Hello World"
> example)
> -This version contains relatively minor edits from the version on Tim's
> site (called rddl4)
>

> Jonathan

If you have a XML document, you have its schema.
                                                  http://examplotron.org
Upcoming XML schema languages tutorial:
 - Santa Clara  -half day- (15/03/2004)        http://masl.to/?J24916E96

Forwarded message 2