Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

* MURATA Makoto wrote:
>> Depends on the format. Formats should provide means to specify
>> the encoding, if they do not they are BAD, broken as designed.
>
>If we really promote in-band declarations, we should recommend
>one mechanism for all textual formats.  I think that CSS style
>declaration (@chaset) is the best I have seen.  If the TAG recommends
>this mechanism for all formats except XML and HTML, that would
>be one reasonable principle.

UTF-8 everywhere is a reasonable principle and much simpler to
understand and implement than any means to specify use of legacy
encoding schemes. For inbound encoding declarations, generic syntax
does not work. Whatever syntax you choose, it will look odd in many
formats and many authors won't use it anyway.