Re: Qnames in attrs and c14n

From: Henry S. Thompson <ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 09:29:37 +0000
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org> writes:

> Hmmm... either that screws up the use of qnames in attribute values
> even more, which makes any alternative xml-validatable RDF syntax look
> pretty longwinded with URIs,
> or it is a nail in the coffin for c14n, which already has trouble with
> xml:lang and xml:base.

I think we need to look at an addendum to c14n, defining type-aware
c14n, which at least rewrites prefixes in known QName values, and
possibly canonicalises all simple values (e.g (decimal)0000.1000 -> 0.1).

This won't fix XPaths, but will cover many simpler cases, including
RDF (once it gets a sensible transfer syntax :-).

ht
                      Half-time member of W3C Team