Re: Draft TAG finding available: Client handling of MIME headers

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:59:07 -0700
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Julian Reschke wrote:

> Issue #1: clients that do PUT without passing a content type -- what's the
> recommended server behaviour upon subsequent GETs? If the server *does*
> guess, and guesses wrong, the client ends up with a wrong content type --
> wouldn't be preferable then not to send a content type at all (in which case
> the client issuing the GET would need to guess)?

I think that in this case it's reasonable for the server to guess or to
not guess based on the application needs.  I don't see an architectural
issue.

> Issue #2: if a client *does* send the content type with PUT, is a server
> allowed to override that (that's what currently happens with
> Apache/moddav).?

Really?  Blecch.  This seems completely 100% architecturally wrong and
should be fixed.

--
Cheers, Tim Bray
         (ongoing fragmented essay: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/)