RE: On subsetting XML...

When you quote from a thread that is 6 months old it will help TAG
members if you could give the URL of the reference.  In this case I
"think" you are quoting from an email that Norm wrote in Jan!
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jan/0178.html

The TAG's current position on this matter is documented under:
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#xmlProfiles-29
which post-dates the message you might have been quoting.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

Of
> Mike Champion
> Sent: July 24, 2003 8:36 PM
> To: www-tag@w3.org
> Subject: Re: On subsetting XML...
>

> Norm Walsh says:
>
> > Profiling XML, providing more implementation options, will
necessarily
> > increase the possibility of interoperability problems and it would
be
> > best to avoid doing so. Profiles are a bad idea on general
principles
> > and are in direct conflict with one of the original goals of XML[1]:
> "the
> > number of optional features in XML is to be kept to the absolute
> > minimum, ideally zero."
>
> If this is Norm's personal opinion, I can respectfully disagree.  If
it is
> a draft
> of an official TAG finding on the subject, I personally find the tone
> be quite inappropriate -- a bit of a lament that the world has somehow
> failed to appreciate the pure beauty of the original specification.
> Sheesh,
> it sounds like the complaints of hard-core SGML devotees against XML
> itself 5 years ago :-)    Profiling is about *maximizing*
interoperability