Re: Options for dealing with IDs

Hi Chris,

> On Thursday, January 9, 2003, 1:50:54 PM, Robin wrote:
> RB> Another issue is that they are normally (in all cases I've seen
> RB> them used in at least) sensitive to the default namespace.
>
> Sensitive in that they can't use it?

Sensitive in that they *do* use it. If, in XML Schema, you have:

<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <element name="foo" type="string" />
</schema>

the type attribute holds an QName; the default namespace is used when
interpreting this QName; since the value of the type attribute doesn't
have a prefix, the processor uses the default namespace and recognises
the value of the type attribute as being
{http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema}string.

This differs from XPath where the default namespace is *not* used to
resolve prefix-less QNames.

It sounds as if you're saying that the default namespace would not
apply when interpreting the value of the xml:idAttr attribute. This
means that the value of the xml:idAttr is not an xs:QName (per XML
Schema's definition), but a NameTest (per XPath's definition).

Cheers,

Jeni

---
Jeni Tennison