RE: [Minutes] 7 Apr 2003 TAG teleconf (arch doc, contentTypeOverride-24, namespaceDocument-8, IRIEverywhere-27)

>[Chris]
>who wil be there - ian, paul, chris, timbl

This may be what Chris said but I believe it is possible that other TAG
members may also be at the conference.

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada
Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329
mailto:pcotton@microsoft.com

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Apr/0034.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Mar/0018.html

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0085.html
>      [26] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect-20030405.html
>
>    [Ian]
>           IJ: I completed the action item, but haven't made the
[27]draft
>           public. I intend to publish this in a week; please review.
>           CL: Some of the material was in an earlier finding. Please
link
>           back to [28]Internet Media Type registration, consistency of
>           use
>           IJ: Yes, I agree. I'll put publication of this on agenda for
>           next week
>
>      [27] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/mime-respect-20030405.html
>      [28] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/2002/0129-mime
>
>   2.3 namespaceDocument-8
>
>      * [29]namespaceDocument-8
>           + Next steps on [30]RDDL Proposal from [31]Tim Bray/Paul
Cotton

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#namespaceDocument-8

[32]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/tag/2003Apr/0012.html
> [...]
>
>    [TBray]
>           What Norm said
>
>    [Chris]
>           finding can be short, but should still exist
>
>    [Ian]
>           Proposed: Plan is to publish TB's revised RDDL document as a
>           W3C Note. Status section would say that it represents the
>           consensus of the TAG.
>           CL: The finding would say why the solution is desirable.
>           IJ: I think that rationale would be better in the document.
>
>    [paulc]
>           Where do we say that users of namespaces SHOULD use the
>           suggested format.
>
>    [Ian]
>           CL: I'd like each issue to close with a finding.
>
>    [Chris]
>           its a consistency thing
>
>    [Ian]
>           TB: Current language in Note does not say "namespaces SHOULD
>           use the suggested format." I would be fine to say that, but
>           don't think it needs it.
>
>    [TBray]
>           Current doc says "A Resource Directory is designed to be
>           suitable for service as the body of an entity returned by
>           dereferencing a URI serving as an XML Namespace name."
>
>    [Ian]
>           TBL: I hear PC saying put language spec in a Note, put
>           recommendations on usage in a finding. I feel that we can
put
>           the RDDL Note forward, but I agree where there will be
>           applications where people will use XML or RDF schema. I
don't
>           want to force people to use it.
>           NW: I agree with CL to use finding to answer finding,
publish
>           spec in Note.
>
>    [TBray]
>           OK, I can go with the the 2-doc solution
>
>    [Ian]
>           IJ: I can go with the 2-doc solution.
>           Proposal: TAG expects to publish RDDL Spec as a Note (status
>           section to indicate consensus of TAG), and to produce a
finding
>           to answer question of namespaceDocument-8, namely that
groups
>           SHOULD use RDDL.
>           TBL: I think we should say that RDDL is a good example
(don't
>           say "SHOULD" in finding; just indicate RDDL as a good
example).

>    [DaveO]
>           I think we should say that RDDL should be used.
>
>    [Ian]
>           Proposal: TAG expects to publish RDDL Spec as a Note (status
>           section to indicate consensus of TAG), and to produce a
finding
>           to answer question of namespaceDocument-8.
>
>    [timbl_]
>           ok by me
>
>    [Ian]
>           TB: I'm optimistic that in the finding we'll find consensus
on
>           verbiage.
>
>    [timbl_]
>           I don't want to recommend RDDL any more than we recommend
XML,

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#IRIEverywhere-27
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Apr/0033.html

>    [DaveO]
>           I have to step away for a few minutes.
>
>    [Ian]
>           CL: I'd like more discussion this week; deadline 21 April?
Also
>           need to convey to Martin the desirability of seeing
>           [36]http://www.w3.org/International/iri-edit/ updated to
>           include iDNS and published as draft 4, and to move to RFC
soon.
>           I'd like to address question of 'blessed wording' regarding
IRI
> [...]
>           that identifiers are unicode strings and you don't have to
>           canonicalize them to compare them. There is ten years of
>           software using 7-bit fields for this quantity.
>
>    [paulc]
>           I need to step out for 3-4 min.
>
>    [Ian]
>           TBL: If suddenly you allow namespaces that can differ in
7-bit
>           systems but not in 8-bit systems. Changing the XML spec is
>           relatively easy. You have a transition strategy: ask them to
>           canonicalize namespace IDs and xpaths. During the interim,
the
>           only time things actually fail is when people use things
that
>           only differ in case of hex encoding. So this is a corner
case.
>           Easier to move to full canonicalization and full equality
and
>           to be consistent with 10 years of code and fix latest
>           departures.
>           CL: I strongly disagree.
>           TB: I'm not sure that CL and I disagree that much. In terms
of
>           URIs, it's a fact that everyone uses string comp in
namespace
>           applications. We have ample evidence that this is prone and
>           shakey to failure, but people do it anyway.
>
>    [Chris]
>           everyone uses string comparison in namespace comparisons,
and
>           in xpath. and in xml query. and ....
>
>    [Ian]
>           TB: One reason has to do with hex-encoding. We can remove
that
>           sloppiness in the IRI spec; but we'd have to abandon the
>           insistence that every URI is an IRI.
>           TBL: I hear TB proposing that IRIs are always canonical.
>
>    [Zakim]
>           Chris, you wanted to point out that I really, really want to
>           talk about blessed text in the next 20 minutes
>
>    [paulc]
>           I'm back.
>
>    [Ian]
>           TBL: Are you saying, CL, that browsers that use hex encoding
>           are wrong?
>           CL: Yes, they are doing it too early. They should do when
they
>           send over HTTP transport.
>           TBL: If you are telling me that the encoded and unencoded
forms
>           are equivalent....
>           CL: Yes.
>           RF: When a robot takes advantage of some heuristic, this is
not
>           for the purpose of determining equivalence of the
identifier;
>           it's equivalence of an operation.
>           TBL: Each algorithm in the deployed software, though, is
using
>           a different piece of the URI spec for its heuristics.
>           RF: There is a reason to create an equivalence relationship
>           between IRIs and URIs. That there are other mechanisms that
>           don't respect that equivalence is irrelevant. I agree with
TBL.
>           NW: I think that TB is right - the key to make this all fit
>           together is to say "Not all URIs are IRIs, and you define
>           mappings that are reversible"
>
>    [Chris]
>           deprecated subset of URIs
>
>    [Ian]
>           [On text about IRIs in specs at this point]
>           CL: Should we be in the business of producing parts of specs
>           that have guarantees associated with them, or not.: Or do we
>           say "Here's our best guess, do the best you can to prepare
>           something for the Director."
>
>    [Zakim]
>           timbl_, you wanted to say we should respond and we should
not
>           suggest the result has papal infallibility.
>
>    [Ian]
>           TBL: If we are talking about this, we owe people a response,
>           but without any guarantees.
>
>    [Chris]
>           agree about the papal infallibility
>
>    [Ian]
>           TB: see language in xml 1.1...hmmm, doesn't say much.
>           CL: There is language in schema spec as well. People could
>           point to that (It's a Rec)
>           TB: I think the anyURI type is underspecified. Last time I
>           looked, there were very few syntactic restrictions on what
you
>           can put in an anyURI. I don't think that that's a good
>           solution.
>           TBL: How about if we tell people to refer to the IRI draft.
>           Then we explain to people what that means: When you refer to
>           the IRI spec, you take on that %7e and %7E are the same.
>
>    [Chris]
>           this is the option A, push water uphill argument
>
>    [Ian]
>           TBL: That gets the XML specs off the hook. We need to
explain
>           that, the syntax and semantics are defined by URI specs.
>           NW: Core WG wants to say that these things are IRIs, not
URIs.

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/open-summary.html#URIEquivalence-15
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0309.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Feb/0224.html