Re: My action item on Moby Dec, issue 14, etc

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 05:14:39PM +0100, Miles Sabin wrote:
> Michael Mealling wrote,
> > I think what you're missing with that statement is that different
> > aspects of the architecture occur at different 'layers'.
>
> Oh, no argument here.
>
> [snip: DNS example]
>
> Or here.
>
> > The 'actually-existing web' is very much a collection of abstract
> > nodes and processes _at that layer_. Its when that layer gets used
> > inside processes and system that humans use is when the issues of
> > semantics come into play. Don't try and flatten the layers into each
> > other. Layering is _useful_.
>
> But it's pretty clear that the TAGs purview and the ambitions of the
> various official and unoffical architecture documents go well beyond
> that layer. Otherwise why would we need _anything_ other than RFC 2396,
> 2616 et al?

Oh, I agree. You need other specifications. Just pick the lower layer ones
for now and get it fixed and let others who care about the higher layers
do those. I.e. lets get it straight that the lowest layer of the web is
nothing more than URIs and Resources (i.e. the same what the lowest common
layer of the Internet is IP). I don't think its productive to try and
figure out _all_ of the layers right now. Just get the lowest ones nailed
down so we can start moving upward with some solid base.

-MM

Michael Mealling	|      Vote Libertarian!       | urn:pin:1
michael@neonym.net      |                              | http://www.neonym.net
!! The Trailblazer spacecraft is going to the Moon! And for just $2500 a gram !!
!! you can send something along with it! Business cards, momentos, cremains,  !!|| anything! See http://www.transorbital.net for details!                     !!