Re: IRIs everywhere (including XML namespaces)

At 9:09 AM -0700 10/9/02, Jonathan Marsh wrote:

>Some examples of IRI use:

Let's look at each of these to see how widespread IRI really are.

>- XML 1.0 system identifiers [2]

This references an erratum, not the actual spec. The original 1st
edition spec is clear though that what we now call an IRI is allowed;
that the escaping is performed by the processor as necessary, not the
author.

>- XInclude href attribute [3]

This is accurate, though the XInclude spec references an old IURI
draft from 2000 rather than the current draft. Presumably this will
be fixed in the next draft.

>- XLink href attribute [4]

XLink does not reference or use IRIs but it does define an
essentially equivalent escaping procedure.

>- XLink role and arcrole attributes [5]

This is not accurate. The XLink spec is clear that illegal characters
must be escaped before their insertion in the role and arcrole
attributes:

The value of the role or arcrole attribute must be a URI reference as
defined in [IETF RFC 2396], except that if the URI scheme used is
allowed to have absolute and relative forms, the URI portion must be
absolute. The URI reference identifies some resource that describes
the intended property. When no value is supplied, no particular role
value is to be inferred. Disallowed URI reference characters in these
attribute values must be specially encoded as described in 5.4
Locator Attribute (href).

>- XML Schema anyURI datatype [6]

This is based on the algorithm used for the href attribute of XLinks,
so this is  effectively an IRI, though like XLInk it does not use the
word "IRI" directly. It does non-normatively reference an expired
2001 draft IRI spec in the references section only (as far as I
noticed).