RE: IRIs everywhere (including XML namespaces)

I agree.  None of these have normative references to IRIs, but try to
incorporate the primary concept that users do not perform %-escaping
prior to inserting the IRI into an XML document, but that the processor
applies %-escaping when needed to interface with a component requiring a
strict URI.

I also think your careful reading of XLink role and arcrole descriptions
is correct; my mistake.  But it is my recollection that we tried to make
role and arcrole consistent with href, which the wording does not
express.  I'll ask the XLink group to search their memories.  In the
meantime, it would be useful to hear the TAG opinion on whether using
URIs instead of IRIs in role and arcrole attributes was a mistake.