Re: Another RDDL/RDF proposal

[Patrick Stickler, Nokia/Finland, (+358 40) 801 9690, patrick.stickler@nokia.com]

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org>
To: "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>; "Dave Beckett" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>; "WWW-Tag" <www-tag@w3.org>
Sent: 13 November, 2002 04:50
Subject: Re: Another RDDL/RDF proposal

> Dave Beckett wrote:
>
> > Here is a pointer to how to put XML content at end of an RDF property arc:
> >    http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Syntax-XML-literals
> > (it happens not to be mixed content in the example there; it could
> > easily have been, I could change it).  So mixed content could be:
> >
> > <ex:prop rdf:parseType="Literal"
> >              xmlns:a="http://example.org/a#">some stuff here
> >     <a:Box required="true">
> >     blah blah <a:widget size="10" />
> >     this is mixed content yes?
> >   <a:grommit id="23" />
> >   </a:Box>
> > blah</ex:prop>
> >

> What I want to do is this:
>
> <rddl:description rdf:parseType="Literal" rdf:datatype="&xhtml;Flow.mix"
>         xmlns="&xhtml;">
>     <h1>Some typed XML</h1>
> to xhtml:Flow.mix. Now if RDF allowed this I might actually have a prayer of
> writing a document that could be RDF and which I could incorporate valid
> snippets of RDF, e.g. fragements of XHTML.
> </rddl:description>
>
> However this isn't legal RDF as you don't allow typed XML literals.
>
> Jonathan

I've tried repeatedly to get this functionality into RDF datatyping,
but for some reason or another, the WG does not seem persuaded that it
is necessary at the moment.

You present a very compelling use case for this, and fortunately, the
pieces are all in place to support typed XML literals. It's mostly
a matter of allowing them. They're not fundamentally different from
literals of type rdfs:XMLLiteral.

I suggest you ask the RDF Core WG to open this issue.

Patrick