Re: Defining the Web

On Monday, March 25, 2002, at 04:35  PM, Tim Bray wrote:

> At 09:42 PM 21/03/02 -0500, Mark Baker wrote:
>> How about replacing that first paragraph with;
>>
>>  The World Wide Web ("Web") is a networked information space which
>>  encompasses all things with identity ("resources").  Resources are
>>  made accessible, and potentially manipulable, via a generic interface
>>  whose application semantics are applicable to all resources.
>
> This flows nicely, but I agree that if it doesn't have a URI
> it's neither on nor of the web; so if that doesn't go in
> the intro it needs to be asserted pretty damn quick. -Tim

I fully agree with the first sentence.

Mark is alluding to REST in the second sentence; is it the case that
everything that has identity is 'accessible ... via a generic interface
whose application semantics are applicable to all resources?' I.e., is
the TAG comfortable saying that there a mapping of REST to every
conceivable protocol that can be used to access a resource? E.g.,
mailto? (note that I didn't ask if it's possible; it would be good to
avoid the fifteen rounds of arguments that would result from that
question ;)

Also, if the second sentence stays, I'd suggest something like;

   Resources can be made accessible, and potentially manipulatable, on
   the Web via a generic interface ...

This avoids implying that all resources (and therefore all things with
identity) are on the Web.

--
Mark Nottingham
http://www.mnot.net/