Re: SOAP breaks HTTP?

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 04:13 PM 20/03/02 -0800, Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> >  SOAP is not HTTP compliant because it ships
> >actions with the content that contradict the application semantics described
> >in the control data of an HTTP message.  That breaks intermediares.
>
> Uh... I had not realized this.  Is one of our SOAP people going
> to disagree with Roy on this?  It seems like a rather important
> point.
>
> And Roy, for the less expert, could you explain this in words
> of one syllable?  I didn't think that you could practically
> speaking send a SOAP request with a GET, and it's OK if a
> POST transaction changes a server state, so I'm clearly
> missing something (probably because I haven't been to the
> mat with SOAP). -Tim

I'm going to jump in because my explanation of my opinion on this issue
(written weeks ago) happens to mention your company, Tim.

IMHO, the problem is precisely that you can't send a SOAP request with a
GET so in SOAP-world you have to do GET through POST which breaks URI
addressing and makes HTTP messages less-than-self-descriptive.

http://www.prescod.net/rest/rpc_for_get.html
http://www.prescod.net/rest/security.html (the section on Firewalls is
relevant)

 Paul Prescod