Re: Potential new issue: PSVI considered harmful

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

>> 4. Work on XQuery and other things that require a Type-Augmented
>> Infoset must not depend on schema processing, and should not have
>> normative linkages to any schema language specifications.
>
> I'd say this item is a crucial requirement if the W3C wants to avoid a
> serious fork in XML development.  Efforts to impose the PSVI as part of
> the XML core are not very welcome in a lot of places.

On further consideration, I probably would back off my statement above;
for example, it seems just fine to refer to the XMl schema basic type
repertoire (or hopefully, a subset of it) by reference.  The problem
that worries me here is where typing information comes from, and the
supposition that types exist only as a side-effect of validation
processing. -Tim