-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

Lucas Gonze wrote:

> Not that I disagree with the reasoning behind the statement that deep
> linking is not an illegal act -- I don't -- but that it's not clear what
> the technical community's role is.

We don't make laws or determine social policies here.  We can send a
note to the people who do these things explaining what URIs are intended
for, and what mechanisms exist to enforce access control, and explain
the (technical) contradictions and problems that result from publishing
a URI unprotected by access control or any other server-side policy and
trying to keep people from linking to it.  -Tim