Re: resource and representation

On 2002-07-05 14:21, "ext Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net> wrote:

> Patrick: the namespace document is a representation. It is *metadata*
> associated with the resource not *the data* nor *the resource*.

Well, others assert that a namespace document *is* a representation
of the namespace.

Is it or isn't it?

>> In this regard, HTTP and RDF are in a way at odds, since to HTTP,
>> one URI is enough but for RDF that constitutes a problemmatic,
>> if not unworkable, ambiguity.
>
> Now we're making progress. We agree that there is an incompatibility. We
> agree that an RDF-side solution is "not unworkable". Why not just go
> make it work rather than arguing about changing a long-deployed spec?

Well, given that URIs are the primary point of intersection between
the Web and the Semantic Web, one would hope that both would agree
on what they denote.

But sure, we can fix it in RDF-land. Though it may limit just how much
the Web can be used as a reliable source of knowledge and may simply
result in the near-complete schism of the Web and Semantic Web.

Patrick