httpRange-14; closer than we think to closing it?

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 06:58:45PM -0400, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
> The TAG has not made much progress on issue httpRange-14 [2]
> "What is the range of the HTTP dereference function?" See
> background email from TBL [3]. We welcome in particular,
> therefore, your input on this issue.

I don't recall the context in which this document was produced;

http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/identify

but I wonder if the TAG could at least come to concensus on one small
part of it;

"In any context that allows a URI, any URI may be used. It is an error
to say that only URIs of a specific scheme are allowed in a certain
context." (note that TimBL has said the same thing[1])

If so, then I suggest that the TAG can resolve httpRange-14 by saying
that since HTTP accepts a URI(*), it accepts any URI, and therefore the
range of HTTP is all resources (including cars, documents, and yes,
even me 8-).

(*) "Request-Line = Method SP Request-URI SP HTTP-Version CRLF"
  -- RFCs 1945, 2068, 2616

 [1] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/UI.html

MB