Re: Fwd: Three bits on MediaTypes and IANA

Echoing what Larry said, there are some proposals on the table, to address
this and other IANA-registry related issues.

One advantage I see for the URN route is that it conveys some indication of
the name being chosen and specified through a community consensus process.

#g
--

At 06:40 PM 1/16/02 -0500, Joseph Reagle wrote:

>Putting aside my confusion or disagreement with both of your reasons -- not
>uncommon to happen on this topic -- I want to focus on my immediate
>requirement: who/how do I ask such that URIs are allocated for the
>registered mediatypes (and better yet their paramter/values)?
>
>On Wednesday 16 January 2002 14:33, Keith Moore wrote:
> > > Nor any policy that they should not.
> >
> > I would strongly argue *against* defining a URL for each media-type.
> > First, because this would constrain how IANA organizes its site in
> > the future.  Second, because it would encourage the practice of
> > using URLs in place of registered names, thereby creating confusion
> > and bypassing the established mechanisms for registration of those names.
> >
> > Keith
>
>--
>
>Joseph Reagle Jr.                 http://www.w3.org/People/Reagle/
>W3C Policy Analyst                mailto:reagle@w3.org