Re: uri-comp draft necessary?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

>  ... It would be difficult to
> keep a straight face if the W3C TAG issued a document saying that
>
> http://www.example.com and HTTP://www.example.com
>
> were not equivalent then watching how that reacted with the notion that
> namespace URIs should be dereferencable[0].
>
> [0] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/ilist#namespaceDocument-8

How would they react? So two different URIs happen to serve the same
document. Big deal. It happens all of the time on the Web-as-we-know-it.

These URIs all deliver the same data:

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/
http://www.MICROSOFT.com/presspass/
http://www.microsoft.com/PRESSPASS/
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/default.asp

Nevertheless, I would be _extremely_ annoyed if my HTTP cache treated
them as the same URI just because at some level unrelated to URI
comparison somebody decided that it would be useful if they delivered
equivalent representations.

If allowing multiple definitions of "equivalence" is a fatal flaw to an
information system then the Web is already dead.

  Paul Prescod