Re: "resolution mechanism"

On Thu, 2002-04-11 at 22:54, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> The problem is not a protocol to be able to resolve any URI.
> The problem is to give something an identifier which can later
> be resolved.  The appropriate scheme is http.
>
> Don't use URNs.  They don't have a protocol.  If you use them,
> then we will all have to make a new protocol for URNs.
> We will end up reinventing HTTP which IMHO will be a
> serious fragmentation of the specification and very detrimental
> to the web as a whole.

This sounds very much like those of us on xml-dev who have suggested
that HTTP URIs by implication are dereferenceable, and therefore should
be.  That's an argument which has been shouted down a lot over the
years.

At the same time, it also sounds like you would prefer to treat HTTP as
a more-equal-than-others URI, and simply drop the notion of resolving
other kinds of URIs.

I'm not sure this is exactly progress, but these are exactly the kinds
of details of URI processing I'd like to see discussed and well-aired
before continuing with an architecture which hangs an enormous amount on
URI processing in general.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!