Re: XML - Database Question

WETTEROTH, DEBBRA (SBCSI) wrote:

> Does anyone have any information on the differences between a Relational
> Database and an XML Repository?
>
> Debbra Wetteroth
>              Senior Systems Manager - Information Technology
>                                        Phone: 314.846.8774
>                                        Pager: 314.318.4547

Debbra,

This is not really the appropriate forum for this type
of question; please see the TAG's home page [1] for
information about this group's scope: documentation
of architectural principles.

You might have a look at the xml-dev archives [2]
for discussions on this topic (indeed, a search
on "relational database" gives some results).

See also writings from Tim Berners-Lee on
"Relational Databases on the Semantic Web" [4] as
well as "What the Semantic Web isn't but can
Represent" [5].

Bert Bos has written something [3] that's available
on the W3C Web site.

I hope this helps. Depending on what you're looking
for (information about XML generally or information
about relational databases and the Web), I recommend
consulting either the XML Activity home page [6]
or the Semantic Web home page [7], respectively.

  - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/
[2] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/

[3] http://www.w3.org/XML/RDB.html
[4] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/RDB-RDF

[5] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/RDFnot
[6] http://www.w3.org/XML/
[7] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/
Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447