Re: version attribute of svg element

> On 8 Apr 2016, at 9:36 AM, Sairus Patel <sppatel@adobe.com> wrote:
>
> re. https://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#SVGElementVersionAttribute

> Can the version attribute validly be absent in an SVG 1.1 document? Is your answer documented in the SVG spec anywhere?

I would say it is not required, but I don’t believe it is documented anywhere.

In XML the version attribute is recommended but not required.
See https://www.w3.org/TR/xml/#sec-prolog-dtd

It’s likely that the version attribute on the svg element was influenced from XML so that is probably a reasonable definition to fall back on.

> I’m aware that https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Attribute/version says the attribute is “purely advisory and has no influence on rendering or processing.” Is this a way of saying that the attribute can validly be absent in an SVG 1.1 document?

kind of?
It’s all a bit vague really.

> I’m also aware that the attribute has been removed in SVG 2.
>
> The context: We are crafting a few SVG doc examples for the SVG-in-OpenType specification. I’d like not to include the version attribute (smaller SVG docs are a good thing).
>
> Thanks,
> Sairus

Nikos.

The information contained in this email message and any attachments may be confidential and may also be the subject to legal professional privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, interference with, disclosure or copying of this material is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately advise the sender by return email and delete the information from your system.